To say the last week has been an emotional roller-coaster would be an understatement. I didn't blog about it because we had so much in limbo that I wasn't ready to share, but now I really really need your prayers, so here's our story.
We found out about 3 weeks ago that I was pregnant. We were excited about Josiah being a big brother and about expanding our family. I had told only a few people, but we were hoping to spill the beans in a few weeks. Then last Tuesday, I bled. A lot. And I knew I had lost the baby. It was devestating, but I went to the doctor and the ultrasound confirmed it. There was no heartbeat, no baby. They said they'd have to just take a series of blood pregnancy tests to absolutely confirm that my levels would drop, and that there wasn't a more serious issue going on. So they drew blood Tuesday. Then I went in and they drew blood Thursday. Friday, the doctor's office called and said I needed to come in immediately for an ultrasound. My levels had doubled instead of decreased and they feared it could be an ectopic pregnancy. Once again, the ultrasound showed no baby, no heartbeat. The doctor told me it could be one of several things: the miscarriage could be incomplete and the tissue left could be causing the levels to rise, it could be ectopic, or it could be healthy twins that just weren't as far along as I thought. Talk about a lot to digest! He said I'd have to wait and do another blood test on Monday and talk to my doctor Tuesday. So as hard as the waiting was, I made it to Tuesday: today. I didn't know what to think... I didn't know whether to grieve, to hope or to fear. All weekend I was feeling worse and worse symptoms of pregnancy (nausea, exhaustion, hunger, tenderness) but I felt very sure I'd lost a baby last week, and assumed it was just lingering hormones. Then I bled again this morning. So I went to my appointment, only to have her tell me that my levels had doubled again and that I would have to have another ultrasound. The levels were way too high to just be caused by leftover tissue from a miscarriage, but this definitely was not normal. If the ultrasound was the same as the last two, we'd proceed as if it were ectopic and they'd have to give me a shot to stop the baby from growing because ectopic pregnancy is extremely dangerous.
So this afternoon, I went for my 3rd ultrasound, and much to all of our surprise, she found a baby with a heartbeat in my uterus!!!! Apparently the baby was conceived much later than we thought and so it just wasn't big enough to show up last week!!! After a week of being convinced I'd miscarried, I'm actually pregnant! This means the baby will be due sometime in early to mid June. There are still some big concerns though. They also found what may be a polyp in my uterus and that can cause miscarriage. Also, the bleeding I experienced hasn't been explained and is concerning. My doctor was still very positive and reassured me that seeing the baby and the heartbeat is very good news. Even so, I am on very restricted activity and I go for another ultrasound next week. This is why I want you to pray!!!
Please pray for our little miracle baby! Pray that what looks like a polyp, isn't. Pray for a healthy, full-term pregnancy. It's still possible that I lost a baby last week... I could have been pregnant with twins and lost one, but I know that whatever happens, God has a plan for this life that He created, and I pray it will bring Him glory. Pray that I will do as I'm told and take it easy this week. It's going to be very hard with Josiah wanting his mommy to pick him up, but I am so thankful that we are living with family and there are extra hands around to help. Pray that Mike and I will choose to think on the promises of God and not on all of the "what if's" that try to discourage us. This little baby has already surprised us all and beaten the odds.... This life is a miracle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow, Melissa! I will definitely be praying, sister! Can't wait to hear what God does with this little life!
ReplyDeleteI'm praying too Melissa!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you guys!!! I will definitely be praying for all 4 of you :)
ReplyDeleteWOW! I am definitely praying and can certainly relate to the fears of the bleeding! I'm praying for peace of mind. And congrats!
ReplyDeleteoh dear Melissa, what a week you've had! I'm so glad to hear there is still a baby there and we'll be praying for Josiah's little sibling and for your health as well. If there's anything we can do for you, let us know. We'll be out of town next week but any time after Wednesday we'll be around if you need anything!!
ReplyDelete-Heather
Melissa, You are surely in my prayers just as you have already been. WOW - I'm speechless! You know that doesn't happen to me often. :)
ReplyDeleteGod is definitely building a great testimony in your life. Rest in Him as you rest.
Pat
Oh my gosh girl! I'm so sorry to hear of your insanely frightening experience. Sadly, I had a very similar experience with Katie as well. I bled for 30 of the 37 weeks I carried her, had polyps, and they thought I was loosing her until I was 17 weeks. But it's never fun to go through it. Don't let the enemy scare you, God's got this baby in His hands. I will be praying lots:)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! What an amazing testimony - God has already done much to bring Himself glory and this little life is still so tiny! Praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! I will certainly be praying!
ReplyDeleteI will keep you in my prayers. I bleed up until I was 14 weeks. I actually had twins with my last pregnancy and had lost one which is why I bleed up until I was 14 weeks. So I completely understand and which is the same reason I call Alex my miracle baby as well. Sending many prayers! Gerrie McLaughlin (Melissa's cousin)
ReplyDeleteCongrats.....will keep you all in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteSissy
Melissa, I am so happy for you all. Satan would have you worry and doubt, do not give him the joy give it to GOD! I too had bleeding issues (45 days worth of them) and they didn't have regular ultra sounds back in "the dark ages of 1980". I will be praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteBonnie